The Koorie Art Show is our annual event showcasing the diverse talent of Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists in one inclusive space.
The Koorie Art Show is an open-entry, non-acquisitive award exhibition, presenting the works of Koorie and Victorian based Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists (new and emerging, mid-career and senior) aged 17 years and above.
Congratulations to the following artists who were awarded the following prizes.
- Janet Bromley (Yorta Yorta), Sea View (2018) – recipient of the Creative Victoria Award for Excellence in Any Media ($10,000)
- Josh Muir (Yorta Yorta, Gunditjmara), Journey to Liberty (2018) – recipient of the Lendlease Reconciliation Award ($5,000)
- Kelly Koumalatsos (Wergaia, Wemba Wemba), Benim Wile. To Cover Over With Possum Blanket. Wergaia (2018) – recipient of the Metro Tunnel Creative Program 2D Award ($5,000)
- Nannette Shaw (Pyemmairrener, Boonwurrung), Traditional Bull Kelp Water Carriers (2018) recipient of the Viva Energy Australia 3D Award ($5,000)
- Hunter Callaghan (Taungurung), Winjii (2018) – recipient of the RMIT University Emerging Artist Award ($3,000)
- GOTAFE Shepparton, Aunty Girl (2018) – recipient of the Koorie Heritage Trust Highly Commended Award ($500)
- Clint Lingard (Ewamian, Kuku-Yalangi), Warrior Gentleman (2018) – recipient of the Koorie Heritage Trust Highly Commended Award ($500)
- Mick Breen (Wiradjuri), A Turtle’s World (2018) – recipient of the Koorie Heritage Trust People’s Choice Award ($1,000). This award was announced at the conclusion of the exhibition.
The judging panel for the 6th Koorie Art Show awards were:
- Hannah Presley, Indigenous Curator, Australian Centre for Contemporary Art
- Jacob Boheme, Creative Director, Yirramboi First Nations Arts Festival
- Mick Harding, Chairperson of the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council, Artist and Taungurung Elder
The Koorie Art Show is a Victorian Government initiative through Creative Victoria in partnership with the Koorie Heritage Trust.
The Koorie Heritage Trust acknowledges the generous support of award and exhibition partners Creative Victoria, the Metro Tunnel Creative Program, Viva Energy Australia, RMIT University and Lendlease.