NOW SHOWING – THE KOORIE ART SHOW 2018
ARTWORK PICKUP REMINDER: Koorie Art Show 2018 is drawing to a close soon, the final day is Sunday 24 February 2018. All unsold artworks are due to picked up between 10:00am – 4:00pm daily from Monday 25 February – Monday 4 March 2019. Please contact Kate ten Buuren or Zenzi Clark ASAP if you need to discuss pick up arrangements.
The Koorie Art Show is our annual event showcasing the diverse talent of Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists in one inclusive space.
The Koorie Art Show is an open-entry, non-acquisitive award exhibition, presenting the works of emerging to senior, Koorie and Victorian based Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists. This year we received 185 artworks from over 100 artists, with a range of styles, subject matter and medium including film, sculpture, installation, painting, photography, weaving, feather craft and more!
The works are eligible for 8 awards, in a blind judging.
- Creative Victoria Award for Excellence in Any Media: $10,000
- Janet Bromley (Yorta Yorta), Sea View, plastic, nylon and yarn.
- Metro Tunnel Creative Program 2D Award: $5,000
- Kelly Koumalatsos (Wergaia/Wemba Wemba), Benim wile. To cover over with possum blanket. Wergaia, print making ink on paper with linen thread.
- Viva Energy 3D Award: $5,000
- Nannette Shaw (Pyemmairrener, Boonwurrung), Traditional Bull Kelp Water Carriers, bull kelp, tea tree, river read.
- Lendlease Reconciliation Award: $5,000
- Josh Muir (Yorta Yorta/Gunditjmara), Journey to liberty, digital print on aluminium with neon.
- RMIT University Emerging Artist Award: $3,000
- Hunter Callaghan (Taungurung), Winji, photograph on aluminium.
- Koorie Heritage Trust Highly Commended Award x2: $500
- GOTAFE SHEPPARTON, Aunty Girl, ceramic and textiles.
- Clint Lingard (Ewamian/Kuku-Yalangi), Warrior Gentleman, wood, material, metal.
- Koorie Heritage Trust People’s Choice Award: $1,000 (to be announced at the conclusion of the show)
- Hannah Presley – Curator Australian Centre for Contemporary Art
- Mick Harding – Artist and Chairperson of the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council*
- Jacob Boehme -Dancer, Choreographer, and 2017 Yirramboi Festival Director
- *Mick Harding’s work entered into the Koorie Art Show is not eligible for the Koorie Heritage Trust People’s Choice Award, and was not judged for any of the other prizes.
- Exhibition dates:
- 8 December 2018 – 24 February 2019
- Exhibition launch:
- 8 December 2018, 2pm – 4pm
- Level 1, Yarra Building, Federation Square.
- Everyone is welcome to attend the official opening and award announcement, there will be live music and food.
The Koorie Art Show is a Victorian Government initiative through Creative Victoria in partnership with the Koorie Heritage Trust. The Koorie Art Show 2018 has been supported by the Metro Tunnel Creative Program, the City of Melbourne and the Federal Government’s Indigenous Visual Arts Industry Support Program.